This manual provides an overview of the BITMAIN Antminer S9 Hydro, demonstrates how to set up, configure, monitor, and administer the server, and also introduces the necessary environmental conditions.
Table of Contents
1. Bitmain Antminer S9 Hydro Overview
The Antminer S9 Hydro server is Bitmain’s newest water‐cooled product Antminer S9 Series. All Antminer S9 Hydro servers are tested and configured prior to shipping to ensure easy set up. This new‐style DIY product needs to be assembled, additional radiations and accessories and power supply are necessary. Warranty is not available due to the damage caused by customer’s self‐removal of the Antminer S9 Hydro server.
- You must provide your own ATX power supply.
- The image shown here are indicative only. The actual product may differ.
1.2 Antminer S9 Hydro Server Components
The Antminer S9 Hydro server main components and controller front panel are shown in the following figure:’
1.3 Antminer S9 Hydro Server Specifications
|Product model||S9 Hydro‐18.0T|
|Power efficiency on wall @25°C, J/TH||96.00|
|Adapted power supply model||APW5|
|Adapted power supply, Watt / Volt||1728W / 220V|
Hashrate & Power
|Power efficiency on wall @25°C, J/TH||96||102.7|
|Power efficiency on wall @40°C, J/TH||103.2||110.4|
|Power on wall, Watt (1-3)||1728||2031|
Power Supply Input Range
|Power supply AC input voltage, Volt (2-1)||200||220||265|
|Power supply Input AC Frequency Range, Hz(2-2)||47||50||63|
|Power supply AC input current, Amp (2-3)||7.85||10.16|
Power Supply Safety Protection
|Output Overcurrent Protection, A DC (3‐1)||216||225|
|Low Voltage Input Protection, V AC||100||100|
|Quantity of hash chips||216||216||216|
|Quantity of hash boards||4||4||4|
|Networking connection mode||RJ45 Ethernet 10/100M||RJ45 Ethernet 10/100M||RJ45 Ethernet 10/100M|
|Server Size (Length*Width*Height, w/o package),mm (4-1)||360*125*190||360*125*190||360*125*190|
|Net weight, kg (2-2)||5.15||5.15||5.15|
|Noise, dBA @25°C (2-3)||45||58|
|Water inlet temperature, °C||15 (5‐1)||55|
|Water flow, L/min||5 (5‐2)||15|
|Flow system pressure, kPa||50||300|
|Operation humidity, RH||5%||95%|
(1‐1) Server test in 25°C temperature chamber. Heat exchanger and water pump power are included.
(1‐2) Server test in 40°C temperature chamber. Heat exchanger and water pump power are included.
(1‐3) Typ condition: 25°C, min J/TH, typical Hashrate
Max condition: 40°C, max J/TH, max Hashrate
(2‐1) Caution: Supply lower than 200V will cause APW5 protection or damage
Due to APW output power will be reduced by 50% under 200V input, and it is not enough for server
(2‐2) 220V AC Power Supply Frequency
(2‐3) Typ condition: Min Power on wall, 220V AC supply
Max condition: Max Power on wall, 180V AC supply
(3‐1) During 220V AC input
(4‐1) Without APW5 & Heat exchanger and water pump, including the bend pipes . APW5 L*W*H(mm) = 260*125*86
(4‐2) Without APW5 & Heat exchanger, pump, including the bend pipes, APW5 net weight is 2.5kg
(4‐3) Typ condition: 25°C, typical J/TH, typical Hashrate
Max condition: 40°C, max J/TH, max Hashrate
(5‐1) Temperature should be no less than 15°C, and at least 3°C higher than dew point
(5‐2) The external water source can appropriately reduce the flow according to the actual water
temperature. Under this condition, the recommendation is no less than 2L/min
2. Connecting to the Power Supply
Power Supply Specifications（for reference only）
12V fixed voltage output adopts PCIE output terminal.
The output cable consists of two colors: the 12V positive terminal is yellow; the negative terminal is black
6PIN PCIE Positive and Negative Output
Positive：Yellow 1, Yellow 2, Yellow 3 Negative：
Black 4, Black 5, Black 6
Precautions for Use：
- Before using the PSU, please ensure that your local voltage and power outlets are compatible with the requirements of the product. Output voltage from the power socket should meet the product’s voltage requirement. The leading‐out terminal model, polarity and quantity must also be in accordance with the product requirements stipulated in this guide.
- Please ensure that the PSU appears to be in good shape and has not suffered any damage in transit. If the exterior of the PSU appears damaged, do not use it.
- Make sure that the ground electrode of PSU is properly grounded to ensure the electricity safety and EMI reduction.
- As different countries have different power outputs, we do not supply an AC input cable with our PSUs. Customers should purchase an AC input cable output that is compatible with the local power grid plug. The type number of the cable end interface to be connected with the power panel is C13, and the sectional area of copper conductor for cables should not be less than 1 square millimeter.
- The PSU must be installed in an dust‐free environment with good and unobstructed air circulation. Any items blocking the air flow of the PSU is prohibited and under no circumstances should the PSU be installed in an enclosed place. Installation also should not be done in environment where there is high condensation or high level of salt content and humidity in the air.
- The correct way to use the PSU is to connect the output wire terminal, and then connect the input cable after the load and PSU output terminals are connected. Either connecting or disconnecting the output terminals are forbidden when the PSU is powered on. Voltaic arcs generated by excessive DC can damage DC output terminals and pose a fire hazard.
- Maintaining a good working environment and derating can greatly prolong the lifespan of PSU. It is generally recommended that the load power not exceed 90% of the rated power of the PSU and the temperature not exceed 50 degrees Celsius. It should be used in a dust‐free, non‐polluted area where there is low humidity and low salt content in the air. The derating method will also allow the PSU to work at a higher efficiency point, which can help in electricity savings.
Thirteen PCI‐e connectors are located at the top of the Antminer S9 Hydro server for connecting the PSU as follows:
- Twelve PCI‐e connectors for the hash boards. Each hash board has three PCI‐e connectors.
- One PCI‐e connector located on the controller.
Note: Each hashboard must be powered by the same PSU to prevent possible damage and instability.
To connect the power supply:
1. Connect PSU power cable connectors to each of the nine PCI-e connectors on the top of the Antminer S9 Hydro server, ensuring that each hash board is powered by the same PSU.
A、SN Label B、Controller Ribbon cable Connector C、Controller PCI‐e Power Connector
D、Ribbon cable E、Fan Connector F、Pump Connector
G、Hash Boards Ribbon cable Connector H、Hash Boards PCI‐e power Connector I、Pipe Connector
4. Connect a PSU power cable connector to the Antminer S9 Hydro PCI-e connector on the controller.
5. Connect the network cable to the ETH port.
6. To power up your Antminer S9 Hydro server, connect the PSUs to the power wall outlet.
Note: If you are using more than one PSU, power up the PSU connected to the controller AFTER you have Powered up the other PSU(s).
3.Connecting Antminer S9 Hydro Hex to Server
Four 4‐pin connectors of the control board and two connectors separated by one line will be connected with 6 fans. The plug must be inserted in place, the fan line order does not matter as long as it is connected.
The control board has a black 4‐pin connector to which the pump must be connected.
C、Connection of pipelines
The Antminer S9 Hydro pump should be connected in series with the pipe, and the joint should be clamped with a buckle. The figure below shows the recommended connection.
Attention: The position of pipes may be slightly adjusted and it won’t have any effect on usage.
For better heat dissipation effect, it is recommended to connect pipes in this way.
Precautions for Use:
1.When connecting the fan and pump connectors on Antminer S9 Hydro Hex, please pay attention to the position of the corresponding connector on the control board. As the power of pump varies from fan’s, the flow through capacity of the connector on the control board also varies. The wrong insertion may cause damage to the control board.
2.The water replenishment period of Antminer S9 Hydro Hex is about 2‐ 3 months. Please pay attention to checking the liquid level of the water tank regularly for replenishment so as to avoid the low water level which can affect the heat dissipation efficiency or the lifespan of the pump.
3.After the initial commissioning of water cooling system or the completion of water replenishment, it is recommended to reinstall the plug at the water replenishment port in a timely manner to ensure the sealing performance of the water cooling system and avoid the leakage of the coolant under unexpected conditions.
4.Ensure that spring hoop is placed on the joint when installing the water hose to avoid affecting the sealing performance of the water cooling system or causing the pipeline to fall off when pulled by external force.
5.It is recommended to start the long‐term operation of the server after the water cooling system is commissioned to avoid any malfunction of the server due to the high temperature of the chip. This process
may last for 20 minutes or so.
6.According to the air quality of the operating environment, it is recommended to dedust the heat exchanger of the Antminer S9 Hydro Hex regularly to ensure a good heat transfer performance.
7.Cooling water is recommended to refer to the requirements for water quality on our official website, or to purchase reliable distilled water or pure water to ensure that it will not deteriorate or corrode the pipeline during long‐term operation.
8.In order to ensure that the standard water pump can output sufficient flow to meet the heat dissipation requirements of the system at high temperatures, it is recommended that the hose length between the Antminer S9 Hydro Hex and the Antminer S9 Hydro server should not exceed 1 meter unless a pump with a larger head or flow is used.
9.If the customer purchases the water pump by himself, please remove the speed control signal line shown in the following figure before installation and ensure that the two wires are not short circuited so as to obtain a better heat dissipation effect.
10.When the pump is found to have a low flow rate during the exhaust operation, it may be because the gas inside the pump cannot be discharged normally, resulting in abnormal flow. The pump connector can be unplugged and restarted after the power is turned off, which is beneficial to the internal gas discharge of the pump. This operation may need to be repeated 2 to 3 times. It is recommended to operate before the server is started to avoid affecting the heat dissipation of the server.
Water Quality Requirements
In order to support the long‐term optimum operations of the water cooling system, we recommend that the water quality used should meet the requirements as stated in the table above.
Water‐cooling plates inside the server are welded parts made of aluminum, which have been cleaned before roll‐out. Water in some servers may appear to be turbid after running for a period of time. Kindly note that this will not affect on the overall cooling system and long‐term operation of the system.
B. Keep adding water. Since water is needed in both the server and the radiators, water in the pump will be reduced when the server is mining. Always remember to add water when starting the server to ensure that the water level is sufficient for optimal heat dissipation.
C. Antminer S9 Hydro server and radiators can be tilted left and right during water infusion which helps to ventilate the air.
After water circulation is running normally, Antminer S9 Hydro server and radiators can be slowly tilted left and right to help the residual air bubbles inside those two equipment to be discharged smoothly. This action can help to increase the cooling efficiency of the system.
D.Liquid Level: the standard level is as stated in the picture below. Please replenish the liquid promptly if the liquid level falls below the minimum value marking.
5. Setting Up Bitmain Antminer S9 Hydro Server
To set up the server:
The file IPReporter.zip is supported by Microsoft Windows only.
1. Download the following file: IPReporter.zip.
2. Extract the file.
The default DHCP network protocol distributes IP addresses automatically.
3. Right‐click IPReporter.exe and run it as Administrator.
4. Select one of the following options:
Shelf, Step, Position – suitable for farm servers to mark the location of the servers.
Default – suitable for home servers.
5. Click Start.
6. On the controller board, click the IP Report button. Hold it down until it beeps (about 5 seconds).
The IP address will be displayed in a window on your computer screen.
7. In your web browser, enter the IP address provided.
8. Proceed to login using root for both the username and password.
9. In the Network section, you can assign a DHCP IP address (optional).
10. Click Save & Apply.
6. Configuring Bitmain Antminer S9 Hydro Server
Setting Up the Pool
To configure the server:
- click General Settings.
- Set the options according to the following table:
|Pool URL||Enter the URL of your desired pool|
Note: The Antminer S9 Hydro server can be set up with three mining pools, with decreasing priority from the first pool (pool 1) to the third pool (pool 3). The pools with low priority will only be used if all higher priority pools are offline.
|Worker||Your worker ID on the selected pool.|
|Password||The password for your selected worker.|
3. Click Save & Apply to save and restart the server.
7. Monitoring Bitmain Antminer S9 Hydro server
To check the operating status of your server:
- Click the status marked below.
- monitor your server according to the descriptions in the following table:
|ASIC||Number of chips detected in the chain.|
|Frequency||ASIC frequency setting.|
|GH/S(RT)||Hash rate of each hash board ( GH/s)|
|Temp(PCB)||Temperature of each hash board (°C).(Applied only to server with fixed frequency)|
|Temp(Chip)||Temperature of the chips on each hash board (°C).|
|ASIC status||One of the following statuses will appear: o O – indicates o X – indicates error o – indicates dead|
Note: The Antminer S9 Hydro server is with automatic frequency. Firmware will stop running when the Temp (PCB) reaches to 90℃，there will be an error message “Fatal Error: Temperature is too high!” shown in the bottom of kernel log page.
8. Administering Bitmain Antminer S9 Hydro Server
8.1 Checking Your Firmware Version
To check your firmware version:
- In System, click the Overview tab.
- File System Version displays the date of the firmware your server use. In the example below, the server is using firmware version 20180820.
8.2 Upgrading Your System
Note: Make sure that the Antminer S9 Hydro server remains powered during the upgrade process. If power fails before the upgrade is completed, you will need to return it to Bitmain for repair.
To upgrade the server’s firmware:
1. In System, click Upgrade.
2. For Keep Settings:
- Select the check box to keep your current settings (default).
- Clear the check box to reset the server to default settings.
3. Click the (Browse) button and navigate to the upgrade file. Select the upgrade file, then click Flash image. A message appears notifying you if the Antminer Antminer S9 Hydro firmware can be upgraded and if yes, will then proceed to flash the image.
4. When the upgrade is completed, the following message appears:
Click one of the following options:
- Reboot – to restart the server with the new firmware.
- Go Back – to continue mining with the current firmware. The server will load the new firmware next time it is restarted.
8.3 Modifying Your Password
To change your login password:
- In System, click the Administration tab.
- Set your new password, then click Save & Apply.
8.4 Restoring Initial Settings
To restore your initial settings
- Turn on the server and let it run for 5 minutes.
- On the controller front panel, press and hold the Reset button for 10 seconds.
Note: Resetting your server will reboot it and restore its default settings. The red LED will automatically flash once every 15 seconds if the reset is operated successfully