This manual provides an overview of the BITMAIN Antminer S9 server, demonstrates how to set up, configure, monitor, and administer the server, and also introduces the necessary environmental conditions.
Table of Contents
1. Bitmain Antminer S9 Overview
Note: You must provide your own ATX power supply.
1.1 Antminer S9 Server Components
The Antminer S9 Server main components and controller front panel are shown in the following figure:
1.2 Bitmain Antminer S9 Specifications
|Estimated wall outlet power consumption (with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25°C ambient temperature)||1176W+10%||1225W+10%||1274W+10%||1323W+10%|
|Estimated wall outlet power efficiency (with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25°C ambient temperature)||0098J/GH+10%||0098J/GH+10%||0098J/GH+10%||0098J/GH+10%|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||350mm x 135mm x 158mm|
|Operating ambient temperature||0- 40°C||0- 40°C||0- 40°C||0- 40°C|
The server does not contain a DC/DC converter; therefore, higher input voltage will cause higher Mining efficiency .
2. Connecting the Power Supply
Ten PCI‐e connectors are located at the top of the Antminer S9 server for connecting the PSU as follows:
- Nine PCI‐e connectors for the hash boards. Each hash board has a set of three PCI‐e connectors.
● One PCI‐e connector located on the controller.
Note: Each hashboard must be powered by the same PSU to prevent possible damage and instability.
To connect the power supply:
1. Connect PSU power cable connectors to each of the nine PCI‐e connectors onthetopofthe Antminer S9 server,ensuring that each hash board is powered by the same PSU.
2. Connect a PSU power cable connector to the Antminer S9 PCI‐e connector on the controller.
3. Connect the network cable to the ETH port.
4. To power up your Antminer S9 server, connect the PSUs to the power wall outlet.
Note: If you are using more than one PSU,power up the PSU connected to the controller AFTER you have Powered up the other PSU(s).
3. Setting Up Bitmain Antminer S9 Server
To set up the server:
The file IP Reporter.zip is supported by Microsoft Windows only.
1. Download the following file: IPReporter.zip
2. Extract the file. The default DHCP network protocol distributes IP addresses automatically.
3. Right‐click IPReporter.exe and run it as Administrator.
4. Select one of the following options:
- Shelf, Step, Position – suitable for farm servers to mark the location of theservers.
- Default – suitable for home servers.
5. Click Start.
6. On the controller board, click the IP Report button. Hold it down until it beeps (about 5 seconds).
The IP address will be displayed in a window on your computer screen.
7. In your web browser, enter the IP address provided.
8. Proceed to login using root for both the username and password.
9. In the Network section, you can assign a Static IP address (optional).
10. Click Save & Apply.
4. Configuring Bitmain Antminer S9 Server
Setting Up the Pool
To configure the server:
- Click General Settings.
- Set the options according to the following table:
|Pool URL||Enter the URL of your desired pool. The Antminer S9 server can be set up with three mining pools, with decreasing priority from the first pool (pool 1) to the third pool (pool 3). The pools with low priority will only be used if all higher priority pools are offline.|
|Worker||Your worker ID on the selected pool.|
|Password||The password for your selected worker.|
- Click Save & Apply to save and restart the server.
5. Monitoring Bitmain Antminer S9 Server
To check the operating status of your server:
- Click the status marked below.
2. Monitor your server according to the descriptions in the following table:
|ASIC#||Number of chips detected in the chain.|
|Frequency||ASIC frequency setting.|
|GH/S(RT)||Hash rate of each hash board ( GH/s)|
|Temp(PCB)||Temperature of each hash board (°C).(Applied only to server with fixed frequency)|
|Temp(Chip)||Temperature of the chips on each hash board (°C).|
|ASIC status||One of the following statuses will appear: ● O ‐ indicates OK ● X ‐ indicates error ● ‐ ‐ indicates dead|
Note: The Antminer S9 server is with automatic frequency adjustment. Firmware will stop running when t he Temp(chips) reaches to 125-135 ·c , there will be an error message “Fatal Error: Temperature is too high!” shown in the bottom of kernel log page.
6. Administering Bitmain Antminer S9 Server
6.1 Checking Your Firmware Version
To check your firmware version:
- In System, click the Overview tab.
- File System Version displays the date of the firmware your server use. In the example below, the server is using firmware version 20170108.
6.2 Upgrading Your System
Make sure that the Antminer S9 server remains powered during the upgrade process. If power fails before the upgrade is completed, you will need to return it to Bitmain for repair.
To upgrade the server’s firmware:
- In System, click Upgrade.
2. For Keep Settings:
• Select the check box to keep your current settings (default).
• Clear the check box to reset the server to default settings.
3. Click the (Browse) button and navigate to the upgrade file. Select the upgrade file, then click Flash image. A message appears notifying you if the Antminer S9 firmware can be upgraded and if yes, will then proceed to flash the image.
4. When the upgrade is completed, the following message appears:
5. Click one of the following options:
• Reboot ‐ to restart the server with the new firmware.
•Go Back ‐ to continue mining with the current firmware. The server will load the new firmware next time when it is restarted.
6.3 Modifying Your Password
To change your login password:
- In System, click the Administration tab.
- Set your new password, then click Save & Apply.
6.4 Restoring Initial Settings
To restore your initial settings
- Turn on the server and let it run for 5 minutes.
- On the controller front panel, press and hold the Reset button for 10 seconds.
Note: Resetting your server will reboot it and restore its default settings. The red LED will automatically flash once every 15 seconds if the reset is operated successfully.